Found An interesting article by Shelley Bernstein the Chief of Technology at the Brooklyn Museum, the article is entitled QR Code Connumdrum and raises a number of important issues/points regarding QR codes with in the context of a museums enviroment.
- Accessability – Not all visitors will have a Smartphone so it is important that their use should compliment the exprience (the musuem looked at only installing markers in specific parts of the museum as a test)
- QRreaders are required (via free download) in order to view content
- Providing an alternative means to view content via smart phones freed up information kiosks for vistiors without [smartphones]
- Scope – Having a QR code for every exhibit would be impractical & potential irritate visitors.
- Add additional content – repeating information already on display would only work if targetted at a specific user e.g. someone with disabilites, aleternative languages
Also in the comments section Shelley also provides some important points for discussion: